Cascais – Penultimate day of racing for the EGNOS 52 Super Series Cascais Cup took place today in the wonderful landscapes of Estoril, where a breeze blowing from West-NorthWest, never under 8 knots in the starting area, allowed the fleet to race two challenging W/Ls.
Even with the consciousness that Quantum Racing, after the regattas of yesterday, is the 52 Super Series 2016 Champion, Azzurra, that has been chasing for Quantum all through the season, did not give up and scored a first and a second today, imposing itself as Boat of the Day and strengthening its position as preliminary leader of this event’s ranking.
It was another extremely good day also for Bronenosec-Gazprom that managed to score the second bullet of the series, winning the second race of today. The fourth and first places earned today allowed the crew to shorten the distances with the yachts on top of the ranking.
The boat carrying the flag of Saint Petersburg Yacht Club is, in fact, currently occupying the fourth place of the ranking, only two points behind Sled: the hopes for Bronenosec-Gazprom to get on the podium of this event are now higher than ever.
Adrian Stead, tactician on board of Bronenosec-Gazprom, said that the crew eventually found the rhythm they had been looking for in the last races: “We have ten boats racing here in Cascais and the level of all of them is extremely high. In the first day of racing we may have capitalized better the positions where we found ourselves, but in truth we ended up with two eighth places that didn’t reflect our potentialities. We’ve started sailing well since yesterday but with the last race of today we managed to get what we wanted the most. Tomorrow it is going to be the moment of the truth; we are going to give our best to get on the podium and to finish the season in a satisfying way. The team has been working hard all through the series and would really deserve a good result“.
The preliminary ranking of the event sees Azzurra as leader with 15 points, followed by Quantum Racing (20) and Sled (24). Bronenosec-Gazprom is close, tackling Sled with just two points of disadvantage.
In less than twenty four hours the curtains are going to close not only over the EGNOS 52 Super Series Cascais Cup, but also on the overall 52 Super Series 2016. With two races left to sail, only tomorrow we will discover the crews that will join Quantum Racing on the podium of the season, and by whom the top-three of this event will be made up.
Preparatory signal for tomorrow is intended at 12:30PM local time.
- 151 Miglia-Trofeo Cetilar, un’edizione da record
- 52 Super Series, a Mahon vince Platoon
- GC32 Villasimius Cup, una poltrona per due
- Roma-Caprera, il via è fissato per il primo giugno
- 52 Super Series, Quantum Racing sempre più leader
- One Ocean Sailing Champions League, classifica ridisegnata dopo la seconda...
- Dai Club, la stagione dello Yacht Club Adriaco entra nel vivo
- Maxi Yacht Capri Trophy, SuperNikka è terza
- Grand Soleil Cup, la grande festa di Portopiccolo
- Campionato Europeo Star, vincono Scheidt-Boening
- Melges 32 World League, a Tavatuy la tappa di Puntaldia
- 52 Super Series, Azzurra subito sugli scudi
- Sailing and One Design, the Melges IC37 Class from concept to reality
- Rolex Capri Sailing Week, North Sails domina