Portoroz – At the RC44 Portoroz Cup, it all came down to the final top mark rounding of the final race: Team Ceeref of local host Igor Lah picked up a penalty and, having to complete a mandatory turn, dropped her to last place. Meanwhile a second place in this race for Team Aqua allowed Chris Bake’s team to clinch victory overall by just one point from Team Ceeref on this Slovenian stop of the 2018 RC44 circuit, despite their having come last in the first two races. In fact the top four boats all finished within two points here, with Aleph Racing and Peninsula Petroleum putting in strong final day performances leaving them tied on points in third and fourth respectively.
Piran Bay laid on similarly light, bright, flat water conditions and an onshore breeze for the last day of racing at the RC44 Portorož Cup, but the wind was further left, out of the southwest.
Torbjörn Törnqvist’s Artemis Racing kicked off proceedings by winning the opening race – with this victory all of the RC44 teams competing here have won a race, proving once again how competitive is this Russell Coutts-inspired high performance one design circuit.
In what was to prove a day for the ‘A boats’, Aleph Racing followed up with a win in slightly lighter, more shifty, conditions, in race two. With the wind slowly building and backing, Artemis Racing, clearly having found its form, claimed the last race too, this second bullet resulting in her being Sunday’s best scoring boat.
Despite losing the regatta in its last moments, there was some consolidation for Igor Lah and Team Ceeref: A sixth placed finish overall here in Slovenia for Nico Poons’ Charisma, caused the Dutch team to drop from top of the overall 2018 leaderboard to third. This has now propelled Team CEeeref into the lead overall with Team Aqua second overall, just one point behind.
For full results visit: www.rc44.com/results
- Melges 20 World League, Calvi Network sfiora il podio a Scarlino
- Volvo Ocean Race, volata olandese
- GC32 World Championships, Team Tilt is the 2018 World Champion
- La Cinquecento, i ragazzi sono in giro
- Melges 20 World League, Pacific Yankee si conferma barca da battere
- 52 Super Series, Quantum Racing re di Croazia
- 151 Cetilar Trophy M32, the event goes to GAC Pindar
- 52 Super Series, da oggi il via alle regate
- Volvo Ocean Race, verso una ripartenza?
- 50mo Trofeo del Nostromo, la vittoria è di Banda Larga
- 52 Super Series, Azzurra risale la classifica mentre Quantum Racing…
- Campionato Europeo 470, parlando delle performance azzurre
- Melges 20 World League, a Scarlino Calvi Network punta in alto
- Melges 20 World League, Pacific Yankee sempre più leader