Attersee – German Melges 24 team White Room dominated at the second event of the 2020 Melges 24 European Sailing Series, considered also as the Melges 24 Austrian Open Championship on Lake Attersee hosted by the Segelclub Kammersee on August 28-30. Six bullets from six sailed races the crew of Michael Tarabochia with Luis Tarabochia, Marco Tarabochia, Sebastian Bühler and Marvin Frisch defended the Melges 24 Austrian title at the event with 14 teams representing three nations – Austria, Germany and Italy.
The championship started with lovely summer weather and with southerly Rosenwind of 5 to 10 knots on Friday. After three races sailed and White Room winning all three races by a good margin, took the early lead ahead of Austrian ORCA team of Helmut Gottwald and German Disco Volante of Sebastian Gastl. On the second day of the regatta the sky was cloudy and the day started with waiting for the breeze to build. Eventually three more races were sailed in very light conditions, when White Room secured their leading position with three more bullets. Another very consistent team was Austrian team of Anna Luschan, crossing the finishing line of each Saturday’s race second and after discarding the 9th result from the total score, jumped to the second position. Sunday was a different day with rain and overcast and no wind at all, and the results remained as they were after six races on Saturday.
“We had a good boat speed as a base for the good result,” commented White Room tactician Sebastian Bühler Friday’s races. “We got along well with shifty winds,” Bühler continued. On Saturday the margins ahead of the White Room’s wins were smaller since the teams were warming up after long Covid-19 break. But for the White Room the Austrian event was already the third event to attend making them consistent and confident. “Sebastian called the decisions of tacking and jibing at the right time and teamwork was great,” helmsman Luis Tarabochia praised his tactician and crew.
- GER677 White Room – Luis Tarabochia, Michael Tarabochia, Marco Tarabochia, Sebastian Bühler, Marvin Frisch – 5 pts
- AUT502 – Anna Luschan, Michael Luschan, Georg Stadler, Katharina Luschan, Marla Feichtenschlager – 14 pts
- AUT643 ORCA – Helmut Gottwald, Christian Egger, Peter Hoffmann, Manfred Ferch, Renate Resenig – 20 pts
- ITA809 Arkanoe by Montura – Sergio Caramel, Federico Gomiero, Margherita Zanuso, Filippo Orvieto, Michele Meotto – 20 pts
- AUT752 Angry Dragon – Norbert Voith, Elsa Lovrek, Florian Kogard, Lukas Eigenstuhler, Matteo Feichtenschlager – 23 pts